We’re officially one week out with a re-vamped menu and everything’s coming up ROSES!!
That planning brain of mine is really working for me. My partner’s cousin after reading my last blog post suggested that we do a taco bar for the wedding– and I am taking that idea and RUNNING WITH IT. One thing I observed about myself today is that I like having puzzles to solve. Another (that I’ve known for a very long time) is that I am extremely motivated by deadlines. (Not unlike most other human beings).
Getting down to the wire– these days are packed full. Here’s the run-down of my wedding-related accomplishments on this day just seven days and counting:
- Woke up and realized my body needed to take a Pilates class.
- RE-REinvented the wedding menu after a great suggestion from a soon-to-be family member.
- Listened to my body and TOOK CARE OF MYSELF (i.e. went to Pilates). [SLOW CLAP]
- Came home and took my maid of honor to get her dress altered.
- Somehow convinced my partner without any threats or coercion to go with me to his most favorite place on a Saturday, Costco.
- Bought and priced wedding related items and inched ever closer to feeling totally on top of it in terms of this wedding. (Lists really are a magical thing).
- Took more steps towards KEEPING IT SIMPLE. (So hard for me to do)…
- Met with one of my dear friends to strategize the next week as it relates to our nuptials, and gave her 10 lbs of chicken to cook for me. (talk about some delegating)
- Realized that I’ve actually got it together so much more than I knew when this day began and all I was aware of was my back hurting.
- Had a very important meeting with my flower girl and tasked her with finding the perfect basket for her flower petals. (She’s already got one in mind).
- Decided, along with said flower girl, what type of flower petals that basket of hers was going to have. (cherry blossoms)
- Went out on a date with my man.
- Ordered serving trays and cupcake storage containers that will make me very popular in certain (as of yet undefined) circles.
- Got one day closer to marrying my most favorite person on the planet.
That about says it all. My exhaustion is real and my planning brain is currently not interfacing well with my writing brain– and my dreaming brain is doing its best to take over for the both of them…
So, at this point I’m going to say that we’re getting down to the wire– and I am definitely feeling stressed. 10 days and counting, and I find myself trying to find time in between time to pack in the much needed organization of my time (and all the other stuff that needs organizing). And then there’s just my regular life that is continuing on as if it had no idea that I’m getting married in ten days– the nerve.
This morning as I was in the midst of juggling my life, sitting in the orthododontist’s office with my daughter while writing a general to do list for the wedding, I was called to send a “help me!” text to a friend.
“Hi. Can I ask you for your help in a general sense? I don’t have specifics yet– but I know that I need help…”
His response came a few minutes later, “Of course. I’m always happy to help…”
Massive sigh of relief. Wasn’t that easy? Just knowing that someone out there who I trust and love is willing to help me is enough to ease my anxiety. Next I sent a text to my assistant asking for help more specifically in brainstorming the blessingway. Another quick and affirmative response, and I was feeling downright un-anxious.
Here are the wedding related things I accomplished today: (bear with me– this is actually incredibly helpful for my sweet little wedding-addled brain)
- Made a list of wedding things that need to be done (I know this seems like something I probably should have done weeks or maybe even months ago– but let’s stay positive and just say “good job, Mandy” for doing it at all. Everyone’s gotta start somewhere.
- Reached out and asked for help from TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE. (Never mind that one of them is someone I actually pay to help me– bringing that up right now seems almost like rubbing salt in the wound, and that’s not a positive thing to do)
- Concretely planned my blessingway (I’m talking real plans, not just visions), I actually wrote stuff down.
- Made the invitation for my blessingway– just a few more email addresses and that baby is going OUT INTO THE WORLD!!
- Filled out the online application for our marriage license (in doing so finally nailed down in my head how to spell the word license– ACCOMPLISHMENT)
- Planned a trip with my husband-to-be to procure said license tomorrow morning.
- Set up a meeting with my awesome friend who is “always happy to help” for tomorrow afternoon.
- What’s that you say? How could there possibly be more bullet points? You’re right. I’m stretching it at this point– but really– today was a turning point.
I’ve always been a deadline oriented type of gal. There’s something about that ticking clock that actually makes me begin to take things seriously. Tomorrow we’re into single digits with the days. That is NOT MESSING AROUND. This wedding is HAPPENING SOON. And it doesn’t really get much more DIY than this.
My lesson for the day, quoted from my dear, always happy to help friend,
“You may be over emphasizing the y in that concept. It’s the royal y.”
So, here’s to the DIroyalY, may it make the next ten days ever easier.